Please Note – We recieved a letter 6 months after the federal accepted our documents stating that a few of them needed to be at least a year old to continue with the process.  You have 30 days to give the required documents, if you cannot – We can’t, your application will be archived. This didn’t mean in had to leave the country but did mean that I would become ‘irregular’ a mild or nice way to our illegal. I decided to leave the country and work in ships again, however later i found out we could have got our stable union approved in front of a judge and the 1 year old documents would have no longer been required

So. The most worrying part of my Visit to Brazil, seeing as it was for Love, was how can I stay here. Well, we found a way!

A visa based on Stable Union or União estável can be obtained if you are  a hetro-sexual or same-sex couple. Stable Union in Brazil basically means that you declare you are living in a ‘Stable Relationship’ and you wish to continue doing so.

Once you submit the application you receive a protocall number which is like a Waiting Visa – this allows you to do everything a visa would, and its valid until they make a decision!  Please not we did not hire a lawyer. Everything was done independently.

We applied at our local Federal, and DID NOT send the documents to Brasilia (they done this for us!) They will give you a list of required documents, some with multiple options. Here are the documents we provided for my application

1. A photocopy of every page of my passport – The passport was not legalised at the consulate in UK, just checked by the workers at the federal.

2. A photocopy of every page of my partners workers book, with the current employer signuture recognised in a cartorio

3. A newly applied for Criminal Record Check and legalised at the brazilian consulate in the UK (This has to be done in your own country, I sent my documents to my parents, got them to send to the consulate, then got them to send back to me) then sworn translated here in Brazil

4. A public stable union / Uniao Estavel document (the more expensive one) between me and my partner

6. A Document done at the cartorio which stated my partner would be responsible for me financially while i am waiting for my visa

5. A declaration which I made stating that I was single in my country. My signature was then recognised.

6. My birth certificate which was legalised at the Brazilian consulate in my country then translated by a sworn translator here in Brazil. This was to support my Single Status, but was not listed on the application requirements.

7. Life insurace that my partner got  naming me on the policy to receive – We chose this as we couldnt put my name on the Apartment Contract

8. Health insurance – This was a worry because i did not have a residency number, but actually we found some companies which accept applications from foreigners with their passport!

9. 2 witness statements from friends stating – I (name) CPF NUMBER, PASSPORT NUMBER, ID NUMBER… also stating that They know you are in a stable relationship stating for how long, they state your intentions to live in Brasil. Then signatures recognised at the cartorio.

10. The payment of the application fee – given to us by the federal and paid at any bank or supermarket

11. My partners Documents photocopied (ID etc)

12. My partners payslips for up to the last 6 months to prove funds are there to support me. We also supplied online print outs of the Food cards given from the work, and copies of the actual cards.

13. Photo copy of my CPF – Easily obtained at a Correios

14. A photocopy of a bill in my name – We chose to change the engergy bill.

Things that stumped us:

CPF – Yes you can get one, Easily and quick. Apply at the Post office. Get a protocall number. Check online for the status. Go to the place that deals with CPF applications and give your details again in person. I was told this was an interview. It was not. Simply just getting my details again. They then gave me a printable CPF – Aparently they dont send cards in the mail anymore, but, i got one anyway!

Bank Accounts – Its not nessersary to get a Joint Bank account as there are other options on the application. We found it basically impossible as i needed the Residency number (i think its called RNE) which you dont get until your a resident!

Health Insurace – Yes you can get it! Call around local insurances and just state the situation. They were happy to apply with my passport number, and give me the protocall number & basic information that day!

Protocall – The plus doing the application with the Federal is you get the number instantly – keeping you in Brasil! If I sent the documents to Brasilia, i could potentially be Illegal without knowing it! I can now travel in and out of the country as long as i dont stay outside the country for more than 3 months. The protocall needs to be renewed after 6 months, until Brasilia makes a decision – This could take a while!

I can now do everything that I could do if I was an actual resident. E.g. Work, Bank account etc.


I got upset many times, because everytime we went to the federal we seemed to see a different person who told us we needed different things. Just always remember to take the list they give you, and just try and get Everything it states. We didnt have Health insurance as we were waiting for my partners company to confirm, we were told it was fine to send the application. The next day we were told it wasn’t. So we just took out another policy. As long as you have all the documents on the list. Its fine! This is a new type of Visa so expect some doubt!

I understand this can be a stressful time, so if I can help in any way don’t hesitate to contact me!

Good luck to everyone,


P.s. A site I was using for help (and hope!) was Just be aware that the information is from a personal point of view, and not always fact! Remember this is a new type of Visa, so people stories are sometimes very different as it seems there is no ‘Right way’ to apply for it!


126 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Dave
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 20:22:00

    Very Very helpful. Thanks a a lot. Please could you advise me what to do to get number 4. A public stable union / Uniao Estavel document (the more expensive one) between me and my partner

    I am getting everything ready to apply for the same thing.

    Thanks again you make the task look possible and are giving me hope


    • gayhelp
      Dec 23, 2010 @ 23:18:18

      Your very welcome! The whole process worried us as it was a new option. The biggest annoyance was, like i said, the fact that every time we went to the federal we seemed to recieve different information. They simply follow the list that is provided to you, nothing more!

      The stable union can be done at any Cartorio in Brazil. If your unsure about this, your Brazilian partner will know where to go! Once you have done this it also recognises your signature, which is good because you will need to recognise your signature on the statement you make to declare your single status!

      Keep me updated on your process, and glad i could be of some help!


  2. Linda
    Jan 13, 2011 @ 20:49:16

    I have question, and as you look someone who did almoust impossible thing, maybe you can give me some answers or ideas.
    My 2nd Tourist visa will finish 3/02 by the time I get all my papers from my country it will expire by 4 weeks. Can we apply for Uniao Estavel document now and wait for my papers to arrive,then go and apply in FP. Or I have to be legal here during all process time?
    Thank you.


    • gayhelp
      Jan 14, 2011 @ 19:07:16

      Hey Linda

      Well i have read people being in the country for over 2 years illegal and applying. From my own experience i was told that i could stay in the country illegally with no problems by the federal, but because of another Visa i have in america i decided i didnt want to do this. It costs just 8R a day, with a cap at 100 days, the fine is paid on return to Brasil!

      So with this information in mind, i imagine you will have no problems applying when illegal. Go see your local federal, they were quite helpful with the information, but as i mention on other posts, what they tell you is SO different depending on where you go!

      Hope this helps!



      • Melany
        Mar 16, 2015 @ 18:40:50

        Hi Chris! Thanks for posting this article,really gave me hope. I have been in Brazil for just over a year now and of course am illegal. I am considering suggesting this route to my boyfriend but am terrified of going to Policia Federal and being told to get out before even being able to start the process…..

  3. Xtian
    Jan 13, 2011 @ 21:15:29

    Hey there!
    I was so happy to read that you got everything sorted out, and that you are now a fully functoning Brit Expat in Brazil!

    I have been doing everything like you, with a lawyer – completely hopeless. However, everything seems to need to be a year old! An insurance policy thats been going for a year, a bank account open for a year, all these things…which I cannot do, because, cannot be here for a year!! ARRGH its driving me crazy!!

    How on earth did you get around this!??

    All the best, and Happy 2011



    • gayhelp
      Jan 14, 2011 @ 19:03:34

      Hey Xtian,

      Well to be honust because the Visa is SO new, everyone seems to have a different story. If they are not letting you apply for the Visa Visa your local federal, i would reccomend you go to a different federal and apply there (in the city.) I saw this advise on Gringoes, but actually didn’t need to use it. I applied with documents which we around 2 weeks old, even though me and my partner have been together a year. The health insurance was a day old! But like i said, everyone has a different understanding of this application, so try elsewhere.

      If its Brasillia telling you this, then sadly i can not help as my application is still going thru there!

      Hope this helps,



  4. Tobias
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 22:44:44

    Dear Chris,
    i tried recently to get a CPF in Sao Paulo at poupatempo itaquera, but was not successfull. They told me I need my passport translated.

    and if u are in SP could u tell me in wich federal police u started ur visa process.. (the adress if possible).

    And do u get any news from ur process??

    tks a lot!


    • gayhelp
      Feb 14, 2011 @ 23:42:50

      The way i applied for the CPF (which i think is pretty country wide) is that you go to the Correios where you apply, give your details etc, then you receive a protocol number. After about a week i then went to the place in my City they process the applications (because i was told being a foreigner this was a requirement) for an interview. It wasn’t an interview at all! It was just me giving him my details again to input in the computer!
      After this i got my card, and was on my way. The plastic card came in the post about a month later (although im told they dont actually send these anymore!)

      So far no news on my process, but i have been out and in of the country with no problem since getting my protocall number

      I’ve heard on a brazillian blog that (if you are) in same sex couples they wait at least a year before they come and give you your ‘suprise visit’ as they believe same sex couples are less likely to fail! (charming!)

      Hope this helped? Get to your local Correios for more info about the CPF!


    • William Stewart
      May 01, 2011 @ 22:35:56

      A translated passport is not required. Go to any Correios and complete the application, there, and pay them R$5. I seem to remember needing a copy of my birth certificate. The Correios will send in the documents, and you will be given a receipt that’s your temporary proof that you have applied. It takes a little while. I went down to the office on Ave Agosto to inquire about my CPF, and they gave me a document to prove I had one (until the plastic card arrived in the mail). Correios can do this for you.


  5. Linda
    Feb 15, 2011 @ 17:03:54

    Dear Tobias,

    Ive got my CPF yesterday, it took me 3 hours but i got it.

    We went to Correios, but they told me that because I’m ”estrangeira” i need apply in Banco do Brasil. Went there.
    Banco do Brasil told me that they cant do it without residency card.

    Thanks God that there is nice people around. One portuguese lady heard our conversation and said that we need to go to Poupa Tempo to Correiros there. Went there.
    No problem at all, they looked in to my passport i payed 5.70R$ got CPF Recipe. After that went to Receita Federal, where they looked in to my passport ”again” entered all the details in the computer. And 5 minutes later Ive got my CPF.
    All that with EXPIRED tourist visa!

    Maybe you need to try another Poupa tempo, as i know now, every place you go there is different rules.


    • gayhelp
      Feb 16, 2011 @ 17:06:53

      I say it once, and i will ALWAYS say it. Everyone in Brasil tells you something different! When you apply for your permencia you will find different things told to you, as i was told when i applied for mine! its crazy! :-/


    • Tobias
      Feb 16, 2011 @ 21:06:11

      Dear Linda, thanks for your reply! But one question: to which poupa tempo did you go to receive your CPF? Have been to the one in Itaquera, but was not successfull there.
      Thanks a lot


  6. Linda
    Feb 15, 2011 @ 17:25:06

    Hey Chris,

    We are In process of applying for residency based on Stable Union. Is so time consuming process that my boyfriend decided to hire a lawyer who will deal with this all.

    I don’t know how it will go, because our lawyer says that, when he will have all the necessary papers he will send all of them directly to Brasilia and we will wait for the answer.

    What worries me is that I am already illegal here, and lawyer doesn’t say or mention anything about ”waiting visa” for me.He says everything will be OK, and that I will have to leave Brazil to pick-up my visa at any Brazilian embassy.

    Looks very easy, too easy for me. What do You think?


    • gayhelp
      Feb 16, 2011 @ 18:26:19

      When i applied for my visa linda they basically offered me to stay in the country illegally. I didnt want to do this as i have a visa for american and didnt want to risk loosing it!
      I found that the documents are pretty easy to get, and the whole process (in reflection) is a bit too easy! At the time it was a nightmare because we spoke to a different agent at the federal everytime who told us different things everytime, but on reflection, your right too easy!
      Being illegal shouldn’t worry you, here it is no big deal unlike the UK and US, so things should be fine. Ask your lawer about the protocall number. This is what i refer to when i say ‘Waiting Visa’ Basically the number gives you like temporary permenant residency which allows you to get the workers book, bank account, etc etc.
      Good luck!


  7. Billyredbull
    Feb 27, 2011 @ 17:53:47

    Does anyone know how long your CPF lasts for? or do you have to renew it every so often. Please.


    • gayhelp
      Feb 28, 2011 @ 15:36:15

      I asked my Brazilian friend today and he said the CPF lasts until you die. I guess it is similar to the UK’s version of a ‘National Insurance Number’

      No renewal is necessary!


  8. Ryohei
    Mar 28, 2011 @ 04:30:38

    Hi, Chris,
    I’m so glad that I found your web site which gave me useful information about permanent visa based on Stable Union. I really appreciate it!
    I felt stressed exactly the same way you did…. You know, here in Brazil everyone tells you different things. Whom can I trust??
    Well, I have a question. Once you get a working book, can you work leagally in Brazil? (I mean any jobs you want?)
    Here is my situation, I(Japanese) and my brazilian boyfriend declared Stable Union last Octobor. I collected and translated all the documents needed for permanent residency and my lawyer already handed in the documents to Brasilia. I jsut got a call from the lawyer that a protocall had been issued and was coming form Brasilia to Sao Pulo. It’s been 2 weeks already and my protocall hasn’t arrived yet….What’s going on?
    Anyway, could you tell me what is protocall like? A card with a paper?

    I really want to work here as soon as possible. I’m so glad to know there is a possibility that I can work leagally after I get protocall number. (Actually, i didn’t think that I could work leagally until I get a permanent visa.)

    Take care,



    • christavo
      Mar 29, 2011 @ 17:54:42

      Hey there!

      Sorry for the delay of reply i am traveling at the moment! I can tell you that the protocall is a peice of paper. we laminated mine. Its simply a number which they attach to all your documents, and then give you the number to use as a reference.
      Once you have this, you can then apply for the workers book, which takes around 1 week in total. (see the tab about this)
      Once you have this, you can work anywhere, completly legal!
      Not sure why it took so long for you to get the number, hope you have it now!!
      We got ours the day the federal accepted all our documents, there and then, no waiting!
      Good luck.
      Take care


      • Ryohei
        Mar 29, 2011 @ 18:14:49

        Hi, Chris,
        Thanks for the reply even while you are traveling. I hope that you are enjoying the trip. I will try to get a workers book after I received my protocall number.

        Thanks again for your kindness.

        Take care,

  9. Joss
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 11:54:05

    Suuuuuch a useful website THANK YOU!!

    I have been with my boyfriend since September and we are looking into the stable union visa for me to go back to Brazil in September and apply for it.
    However the life insurance and evidence of dependence documents have to be a year old. Even if I set up the life insurance now, it won’t be a year old. Was it the same for you, or did you manage to get around it?



    • christavo
      Apr 23, 2011 @ 21:08:57

      Hey Joss! Well out of interest where abouts are you looking to live?

      In my situation this was not the case. In most cases the documents which i gave for my application were days or weeks old. As i mentioned in the site (somewhere!) because the Visa is so new, there seems to be no standard, and everyone seems to have a different story to tell.

      I recommend applying at a different Federal if the current place doesnt allow you to apply with your documents. Another option is to apply for this Visa while in the UK, but i have no previous experience, or have heard anything about this process.

      Good luck!


    • Ryohei
      Apr 27, 2011 @ 19:53:50

      Hi, Joss,
      As Chris said, everyone has a different story( because of Brazil…), so I can’t give you definite information,but I just wanted to share my story. I hope it will help you apply for permanent visa based on Stable Union. As you mentioned, I was told that Stable Union and life insurance should be more than a year old to prove that your relationship is real. This is my case because we can’t get married neither in my home country nor in Brazil. My lawyer told me that a situation could be different if we get officially married.
      For example, in Portugal fortunately gay guys can get married, so if you have a official document of marrige, probably you won’t have to wait a year to prove your relationship with your partner.

      Good luck!


  10. Ryohei
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 19:36:17

    Hi, Chris,
    According to your blog, I’m sure that you enjoy your trip around Europe. Well, finally I’ve got my protocall number! I’m going to see if I can get a working book with my protocal number next week. Now I have a question.
    What document did you use as a proof of residence? Because payment papers like water, electricity, gas, are under my partner’s name….I was just wondering if it could be our Stable Union document which states where I live in Brazil.
    Since you are traveling outside Brazil, I have one more question about Immigration. It’s been more than 6 months since I came to Brazil and obviously my tourist visa has been expired. If I happen to go abraod and then come back to Brazil, do you know if I can come back here with my protocall number? Or I need to apply for a tourist visa again before entering Brazil?


    • christavo
      Apr 27, 2011 @ 19:46:37

      Yes i really am enjoying the Trip round Europe, its been very fun!

      The document i used for Proof of Residence was an energy bill. This is Easily changed into YOUR name at the Energy company. Also its as easy to do the same at the Water company. You just go in, Your partner fills in a form, and the next bill appears with your name on it!

      Also, as long as you have your protocall number, this now acts as your Visa going in and out of the country. You can travel with this, but can not be out of the country for more than 3 months. More than 3 months and its cancelled, and no entry is granted!

      Hope this helps



  11. Linda
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 19:01:10

    Hi Chris!

    I have question about protocall number.
    ive eneterd my name in: and all i can see is 17 digit number, my name and Situação EM ANÁLISE.

    Is this is good?


    • William Stewart
      May 01, 2011 @ 23:51:02

      Em análise means they have the paperwork and they are analyzing your application. It does NOT mean that you are approved. This “protocol” number is what you would need, if you wanted to talke with MTE about your application. You will get a separate protocol number, when the process is approved.


  12. Joss
    Apr 30, 2011 @ 13:22:41

    I am looking to apply in Joinville in Santa Catarina, I have not actually applied yet just looking through everything that is needed. I wonder if it is worth just heading back to Brazil and applying and see what happens!
    Thanks for your help! 😀


    • William Stewart
      May 01, 2011 @ 23:54:52

      When you say “see what happens”… I assume you know there is a usually long period of analysis. If you “head back to Brazil” and think it will happen quickly, so you can go back to another country… think twice. Expect 3 to 6 months, depending on the caseload at MTE and if they ask for more documents. I just applied for (and received) an Investment Visa. The process started in early December and they asked for more documentation 3 times. It was just approved… total of 4 months. Oh, by the way… MTE has a priority system for working on applications. Artists seem to get first priority… interesting.


  13. Chris
    May 09, 2011 @ 17:37:13

    Thanks so much for all the information you’ve shared. This is extremely helpful!

    My partner (the Brazilian) and I plan on moving from the US to Rio mid July. This information helps us get everything together ahead of time so I can apply quickly once we get there.

    My only concern is around his ability to prove he can cover my living expenses as he will be unemployed. Does anyone know of alternative approaches to proving his employment? Perhaps a certain amount of savings? Could his parents vouch for me instead? Any other thoughts?

    Chris, you say you’re thinking about moving to Rio. Great choice! My partner is from there, and we visit regularly. Once we move, it would be great to meet up!


    • christavo
      May 09, 2011 @ 18:26:46

      Hey Chris,

      Chris White!? Uncanny, my sirname is Whiting! 😉

      Your more than welcome for the information. I know how stressful this process can be so i wanted to share my experience to try and reduce that stress for others!

      My thoughts about your situation – When you enter Brasil (not knowing how long you’ve been in Brasil for the last 365 days) you will enter on a tourist visa. Is it an option to wait until he gets a job before you start the process? I was on a tourist Visa for almost 6 months before we applied (left it till the last minute!)

      Another thought is maybe he could say he works privately. Again, I’m not sure about the rules of working Privately in brasil, or what you should have to prove this.

      And about his Parents. I really couldn’t answer this. I suggest posting this question on a very helpful site!

      When we know whats happening about Rio I shall let you know by blog, or email, would be great to meet up!

      What do you plan on doing for work when you arrive!? Is it ok to ask how old you are!?

      Great hearing from you! Hope this helped.


  14. Ryohei
    May 11, 2011 @ 17:28:31

    Hi, Chris,
    I saw your blog, “Sad News…” today. Actually, I got a similar letter from the Ministry of Labor ( Ministério do Trabalho e Emprego, Conselho Nacional de Imigração) I’m not sure that you’ve gotten the same letter or not. Was it from the Ministry of Labor or Federal Police in Brasilia? I just called my lawyer to check what the letter meant. He explained that the letter was saying that Stable Union and Life Insurance should be over a year old and I need to hand in one more document to prove our relationship, such as wedding document at a church, or a joint bank account etc within 30 days. But he told us that the letter is not saying we should hand in “Valid” Stale Union and life insurance which are over a year old AGAIN within 30 days. He added that it just meant that we should submit one more document within 30 days and our process would be suspended ( not cancelled) if it fails. My status here will be still legal after 30 days without handing in the document. Did the letter you got say that you would be illegal after 30 days? Once again, I don’t know yet if you have gotten the same letter or not. I just wanted make sure if there might be a possibility you misunderstood the letter just in case. Lastly, the lawyer told us there are several ways to get a permanent visas for gays, not only based on Stable Union but judicial process. Why don’t you consult a laywer in your place before thinking about leaving Brazil. I can tell information of my lawyer and visa agency if you want.

    Take care,


    • christavo
      May 11, 2011 @ 18:08:29


      Thank you so much! I have updated the original post, and the start of this page. I’ve also sent you an Email
      Hope to hear from you soon!


  15. lauren
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 20:51:43

    Hey! Thanks Chris. This has been the most informative blog I have found.
    What 1 year old document did you wind up sending?


    • christavo
      Nov 21, 2011 @ 07:46:04

      Hey Lauren!

      Thanks so much! Sorry for the delay in my response, We decided to go back to ship life, and my contract is almost finished now! We have decided to go BACK to brazil, so i promise this site will be updated more regulary! With regards to the documentation, we were able to get a Bank account when I was on my temporary visa, with this I now have a 1 year old bank account. 🙂 was that the answer you needed?
      Stay in touch!


  16. rajat
    Aug 02, 2011 @ 23:51:36

    Thanks for this information man.

    Just a wee bit question. I sent the documents to Brasili (Stable Union Permanencia). I got the Protocolo.

    2 weeks back I travelled outside Brasil and I intend to go back to brasil in 2 weeks.

    Its only 30 days that the protocol was issued. Can i travel back without facing any problems at the immigration or the flight desk?



    • christavo
      Nov 21, 2011 @ 07:51:19

      Sorry for the delay. As you probably already know, the answer is No, you wont.

      I done the same. After 2 weeks of getting my protocall I went home. You can stay out of the country for a maximum of 3 months and return with no troubles.

      Keep in touch!



  17. dan
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 03:14:17

    hey guys

    really great thread, just have one question to the very 1st note at the top of the page.

    please how long did step 3 take ? the sending documents back to the uk for the police check , then certified and then sent back to brazil and if its not too much to ask what did it it involve ? did you have to sign the CRB police check ? did you need to send your driving licence or passport etc ?

    thanks to everyone for this amazing info

    take care



    • christavo
      Nov 21, 2011 @ 07:59:12

      Hey Dan,

      Where you from in UK? Whats your story!? Where you living, etc etc. We’re now coming back to Brazil
      The CRB check was applied for online and my mother sent me the document over – No signature needed
      No driving licence needed
      We used the corrier service like FedEx, and it took about 5 days each way, so pretty speedy – And saver of course.

      Stay in touch?



  18. dan
    Nov 22, 2011 @ 03:30:17

    hi chris and everyone

    thanks for the info. always much appreciated. ive already been checking the application forms, seems i can print it all off here and send it on to my brother to forward on with the rest of the stuff, then back to the brazilian consulate for more stamps. it just never even crossed my mind about a police criminal record check before. so here i am…

    im from the uk, been in london mostly, was in joinvile , santa catarina for 2 months, now in florianopolis, been about 2 months. i have my birth certificate certified by the consulate, a handful of other uk bills and stuff, the cpf , also have internet here in my name and think it will be fine to get the rental / tenancy agreement in my name too. so just going to see how i get on, will let you ( all ) know of any hiccups along the way. ‘oh’ and the banco do brazil even opened an account for me but called a week later saying that they have to close it. so even the protocol alone would be a winner winner right now.

    just one thing for all the others reading this, it does appear that if your not american or australian ( eg from europe) then it seems that you can use your 90 day visa, get it extended for 90 days then leave the country, eg paraguay / argentina etc and then come back and start again, not with an extension but just a fresh visa and it can be extended again one time.. then repeat. its like this for most of latin america and is not illegal, its just the system. ill be doing another visa run soon if i dont get my arse into gear quickly so will clarify this just between new year and around mid jan ,should anyone be interested, though i know this is not practical for many people who want to work, and open bank accounts etc but keeps you legal and less chance of a 6 month ban if your visa fails.

    anyway, take care

    best wishes to all



    • christavo
      Nov 22, 2011 @ 04:38:55

      We’re heading back to Norfolk, Where i live at the start of December and going back to Rio in time for Carnival, after that, we’ll start everything all over again, but not sure where really.
      Lets see where things take us. Before things have worked out, and although i’m very worried of the jump we’ve made – AGAIN – But god has looked out for us in the past, So I hope he’s still watching 😀
      Take care dan!


  19. here2
    Dec 20, 2011 @ 18:14:45

    Hey, does anyone have experience with getting a permanent visa through união estável and then breaking up with your partner more than three years after you got your visa?

    If you have heard or experienced anything similar, it would be much appreciated.


  20. here2
    Dec 20, 2011 @ 18:15:49

    Sorry, to complete this question, I mean terminating your união estável in the cartorio. I am wondering if that affects the permanent visa in any way.



    • dan
      Feb 01, 2012 @ 23:42:10

      here 2, i believe that any non resident that gets ‘ married ‘ to the brazilian will automatically lose the permanent visa should you not last 5 years…an exception to this would be if you now have some kind of business, employing brazilians and paying your taxes. if its more than 5 i wouldnt worry too much. though depending when you got married it may have restrictions to re-marry a non brazilian. do you have the full colour RNE card or just the protocol that you had from the start…did you have the surprise police check to see your both living where you said you were. i believe this to be so but am not quoting facts…. please let us know when your sure…

      take care



  21. here2
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 01:23:11

    I talked to an experienced immigration lawyer in a very reputable firm in RJ and she said not to worry. I never heard anything about the five years for uniao estável. Maybe that is true for marriage. More than three years was good for união estável, but maybe not necessary. That’s what I know.


  22. here2
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 01:24:19

    By the way, I have the full color card and never had the police checks.


  23. John George
    Feb 07, 2012 @ 22:59:52

    Im John George, Presently I work in Brazil in Technical visa ,Item V. I been here for 1 year 6 months.I done my stable union contract with my fiancee on 1st feb 2012.Now i’m going to apply for Permanant visa.But my problem is I don’t have joint account or Life Insurance on my name and my wife name. I’m very worried about doccuments.As per federal Policia I need to submit only CPF,passport,Stable union contract and Police certificate from India.But i’m confused wether my application will be rejected later on.Also this was told by Advocate of my company.He is dealing with this.Please send someone opinion on this

    John George & Samantha Barcellose


  24. Aron Kristofersson
    Feb 26, 2012 @ 14:57:32

    I have a bit of a proplem and since i dont have a Brasilian embassy or consular in my country so i thought i could ask here if you could give me an advise.
    I live in Iceland and i have been in a relationship with my girlfriend who is brazilian exchange student now for 7 months and she has to go back to Brazil in july.
    I really want to be able to go with her and find a job but my profession in Brazil is restricted to citizens of Brazil or those with permanent visa.
    We really are serious and want to make our relationship work so i wanted to ask you guys for an advise how to get the stable union visa, Is it enough to have references from people from my friends and family and her friends and family in Brazil and photos of us together or do we have to have a joint bank account and officially live together on the papers?

    Best regards, Aron


    • christavo
      Feb 26, 2012 @ 17:08:21

      Hi Aron. I would first encourage you to read the above. However I can tell you that from my personal experience they did tell us that the proceed with our application we were told we needed to provide some form of documentation which was over a year mature. Getting a name on a bill, life insurance, cpf is all easy without any Brazilian document, but a joint back account we found harder to get until we had our temporary visa document for me. The other way to get around this is to get married in front of a judge, and then I am told, that no documentation is required to be over a year old. Hope this Helps. Chris


  25. Linda
    Feb 27, 2012 @ 13:00:53

    Hi Aron! the best way for you is to get married. ive been trying to get visa based on Stable Union since Feb 2011, but after 7 months our case was archived for same reason as Crises, we needed documentatation that is over 1 year old ( for us it is life insurance, which will be year old in june).
    Please note – you will need to get married in Brazil, so enter here with tourist visa and all necessary documents for marriage.This is the best and the fastest way.


    • christavo
      Feb 27, 2012 @ 22:06:15

      I agree with this. It was exactly the same for us. We got the application accepted, then about 6 to 7 months later we were told the same thing. Sadly we gave up, and went in a different direction, and we are now actually applying for his UK visa! But, later we were told that you are able to do stable union in front of a judge, or like you mention, get married. For us this wasn’t a possiblility being same sex, but we were told that getting a stable union in front of a judge would be the same, kind of. Either way, we didn’t want to take the risk, and I didn’t want to stay illegally, so we took a different route!Thanks for your feedbackChris


  26. dan
    Feb 27, 2012 @ 23:39:14

    hey aron,

    a stable union is a very long, tedious , expensive ( if you need judges and lawyers) and a tiring experience with no definite outcome and could also become a huge error later if you plan to spend your life savings on property or a business and something goes wrong between you. unless your in a long time same sex relationship or putting equal monies into some kind of business and want financial protection then its not a good idea…

    the only real difference between a civil marriage and a stable union for a straight couple is with a stable union all assets will be divided between you equally should you split later. the the civil marriage comes with 4 options of the ‘ pre nuptial agreement ‘ which one of the options must be ticked and signed by you both…

    make sure you bring all your documents with you and certified ( very important ) by your closet consulate, birth certificate and non criminal record report ( only valid for 90 days) is all you need, then here you can get a cpf and the non impediment certificate ( which sais your not married already ) from your consulate in brazil, not outside of brazil. get your 2 documents from home translated in brazil. then you go down the cartorio ( bit like a post office ) make a date and then sign some papers ( with 2 of her mates as witnesses ) and its all done. this can all be done pretty simply with a tourist visa and then you get a protocol and your as good as a brazilian…. no need for big cakes and churches if shes cool with it.

    another idea would be to enrol on a 2 day a week course in portuguese ( or any course if you speak portuguese) at the biggest university in her home town, do all this from home and wait for the confirmation, signed, stamped and returned to you, if you do this in brazil you will have to go home to collect the student visa as you have to arrive with this visa already from your home country, not one from argentina or uruguay if thats not where you live.. pay the fees and just keep paying for the courses and you can stay quite easily.. there not expensive and youll get a protocol and can open a bank account and work ( 25 hours a week i think ).. and your still almost a brazilian.. then asap / today, get some things in both your names, iceland ,brazil or both and if you still want to be together in a year or more then you have all options on the table..stable union, marriage or continue with a student visa..

    hope this clears some clouds….

    take care



  27. Linda
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:28:42

    “to do stable union in front of a judge”

    Yes it is possible to do Stable Union in front of a family judge. My friend did it and got her Visa in about 3 months, ive tried to do the same but got rejection ( dont know why because we had same judge of Santo Amaro), so now our laywer is trying to do the same thing with the Federal judge, if it wont work we will wait till june ( when our life insurance will be 1 year old) and start all over again.


  28. John George
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 18:36:22

    I am goin to submit my application for permanant visa base upon my union estavel. I conatcted the company which made my work visa to Brazil.Company name is Lothus Visa, They are preparing all visa for my company . She told me submit following doccuments • Requirement form full filled (we will provide).• Notarized copy of the applicant’s passport, clear and complete (including blank sheets);• Certificate of criminal records from the country of origin, legalized by the Brazilian consular office, translated by a sworn translator or consular statement mentioning that the candidate was not prosecuted or convicted (original document);• Proof of relatedness between the claimant and the applicant, by presentation of certified copy of your Stable Union Certificate;• Justify from the claimant to the request (we will provide);• Claimant’s ID document notarized copy (Brazilian ID card);• Public Declaration mentioning commitment on the maintenance, support and repatriation of the foreigner of the country (Needs to be prepared in the Registry Office – we can assist with this);• Proof of financial funds for the maintenance of the family in Brazil (from the claimant and from the applicant);• Claimant’s notarized declaration that was not criminally prosecuted or convicted in Brazil or abroad (we will provide);• Individual tax paid (we will provide).Thanks John George.Let me see what will happen next.
    John George.


  29. Rideon
    Mar 07, 2012 @ 17:03:20

    so…. has anyone actually waited in brazil as an “irregular” while waiting for documents to become a year old. Married to brazilian but simply dont have the documentation age to continue living here, unless I stay as an irregular then apply when the documentation reaches a suitable age.?? would staying be criminal or kind of not, can you get a protocol before you apply for the visa because it seems in one of the threads they obtained the protocol before visa application?
    sorry one more thing has anyone applied as an irregular before?



  30. fran.h
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 20:30:01

    I’m currently in the process of applying for this visa. we have been together almost four years, some of it long-distance, and I have been here in Brazil for 14 months now (so 8 months illegally) Can someone tell me if a year-long rental contract counts instead of a bank account? Also, we are heading back to England to visit my lot for three months in June… his mum (our lawyer!) is going to provide us with a statement from the judge explaining the situation, but where on earth can I pay the fine for being illegal – Federal Police can’t accept money, and to get back into the country I need proof that I don’t have a fine anymore. Any help would be much appreciated!


  31. Linda
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 21:11:30

    With what kind of visa are you planning to enter ??? never heard about “statement from the judge explaining the situation “.

    The fine you will need to pay when you will want to ENTER to Brazil. You will have to pay in airport at the passport control , make sure you will have this money cash.


  32. dan
    Mar 16, 2012 @ 23:12:13

    hey peoples

    just want to say that if you applied for any type of visa ( stable union, investment, retirement etc ) in brazil while you were legal on your valid tourist visa and you have had to wait ages and ages and now become irregular or illegal then this is half expected by the authority’s anyway so do not leave the country or you wont get back in for 6 months, but you will still have to pay the fine if your successful or not which is just under £BR 8 reais a day and capped at 100 days, £300 pounds sterling more or less for an unlimited over stay, then a 6 month no entrance. nobody really cares about this, you will not get into any trouble from anyone . the fee / fine can be paid either leaving the airport or when you next arrive.. if you get into any serious trouble you are likely to be give a week to leave though, plus the fine..



  33. John George
    Mar 19, 2012 @ 14:02:11

    can anyone clarify my doubt? wether I need to submit portughese version after translated by an sworn translator or english version for application.? I have copy of orginal which i recived from embassy in India.Now i can trnslate by an sworn translator in Brazil in to portughese.Is it enough if i submit this portughes version?


  34. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 02:01:07

    This is such a great site, and I have spent over an hour reading all the messages.

    I am in Rio with my Brazilian partner (same sex) and I am from the UK. we have been together for 14 months (in brazil and in europe). I am still here legally – but only until the 6th May then my 180 days are up! I know I have left this late but we are now looking at what options we have… we were considering marriage but i dont think i will have all the documents ready in time, and I know we can not get married if I am ”illegal/irregular”

    So, now we are considering the ‘stable union’

    Do you think its possible for me to get the visa in time? I’m so worried about becoming illegal. I have no plans to leave Brazil, ideally I would like to return back to the UK in December for 1 month (so I don’t want the 6month ban)

    The whole process sounds so complicated and I’m so lost with it all!

    If anyone can offer advice, i’d be so grateful, or if anyone has the contact of a lawyer, that would also be great. Thanks x


    • christavo
      Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:24:09

      I think the best thing would be to get marreid in front of a judge, or enroll in studies there, however you would need to leave brazil to come back on the different visa. My partner is now in Rio applying for his English Visa!!! 😀 That was the route we took,

      Going to start writing about that on here eventually hehe!

      Lovely to hear from you and good luck!


  35. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:28:31

    Thanks for your response.
    How do we go about getting married in front of a judge?
    And is there a way to get an extension stamp (or something in my passport) based on the fact that we will do the marriage when we have all the necessary documents. Also, do you know how long it takes to get all the documents? I need to get a replacement birth certificate from the UK, and then the criminal record etc.. so, I don’t think it will be possible to have all of that before my tourist visa expires (6 May)

    I feel like my head will explode from all the confusing information I’m reading!

    Thank you SO much for your help.



    • christavo
      Mar 28, 2012 @ 13:18:01

      I dont think you are able to extend. For example, an option for us in the UK was for my partner to return home and apply for a Fiance visa, to return here in the view of getting married. However he was unable to change to a different visa wile on a tourist visa, he simply had to leave whatever the situation. There is a website I used while going thru the process which I highly reccomend, its somewhere on this blog so I’ll take a look and find it, but if you want to look im sure its under the page ”Visa” Its an extensive site and great source of information! I reccomend you and your partner visa the local federal to speak to them about the extention or other options. In regards to the CRB check, this took about 14 days and my parents sent it over to meYou’ll also need your birth certificate certified at the Brazilian embassey in UK, this takes a few days. Chris


  36. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 13:28:38

    Chris, thank you so much!
    I am going to get onto the documents today- and with any luck, maybe I can get it all sorted before the 9th May.
    Did you need a certificate to prove you are not married in the UK?
    Do you know the website for the CRB check? I can’t seem to find out how an individual applies for one!
    Thank you again, x


  37. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 13:46:42

    We have a meeting with a lawyer at the Gay Rights (I’m not sure of the exact name) centre in Rio. Hopefully they can help us with the process and point us in the right direction. WISH i hadn’t left things so last minute!!


  38. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 16:04:54

    Oh that is great! I have had the Scotland Disclosure for a teaching job before. I didn’t know whether this would be enough or if it had to be the full CRB. I will get an updated Scotland Disclosure – a lot easier than the hassle of a CRB!!

    Though I have read that for the civil wedding the criminal record check isn’t needed, and that is just for the visa process.

    I came across this site:

    It seems quite helpful !

    Which says a ‘civil status’ certificate is needed. Well, I will try and get as much information and documentation as I can, just in case.



  39. Chloe
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 18:32:31

    Did you use a shipping company such a fedex?
    Not sure what the fastest method of shipping from England to Brazil is.



  40. dan
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:29:28

    hey chole

    there is a form that the brazilian can sign in the cartorio that allows them to sort out the marriage in your absence, not that you will be absent but as your visa is about to expire then technically you cant get married. but if this form is done while your visa is valid then it doesnt matter if you over stay as youll just have a fine to pay after your married and al your documents are in order. an over stay is 8 reais a day capped at 100 days. i think its called a ‘ procuracao ‘ it enables the brazilian to sign lots of documents on your behalf.. then you just sign on the big day ,then go down to the policia federal they will give you a protocol that enables you to open bank accounts etc etc, they will work out how many days you overstayed, print out your fine and you go pay it in any bank then take the receipt back and then the policia will send off your documents. then your more or less legal, but youll have to wait a few months and check online to see if your going to get a proper visa, no reason you shouldnt for a marriage, will be a bit more complicated / different with a stable union…

    the criminal reference check is not needed for a marriage, it is needed only for the police before they can give you a protocol. it is also valid only for 90 days. it needs to be certified in london and translated in brazil.

    the letter of no impediment, which sais your not married already will come from the british consulate in brazil, doesnt have to be from sao paulo as there are other consulates. if you were getting married in england then it will come from the same place as your birth certificate, but if your abroad it has to come from the consulate, it will take at least 21 days as it has to be on a wall for 21 days to see if anyone has any objections to your marriage and will arrive in portuguese and will not need to be translated or certified.

    try not to rely on brazilian post, it will take 5 days from the uk to brazil then could take up to two months to get to your front door.. maybe only 2 weeks though if your lucky, 1st class recorded delivery will only be recorded until it arrives in brazil then its the law of the jungle.. and any document you send to brazil ( crb check and birth certificate only) must be sent first to the brazilian consulate and certified, they will not translate it, translating will be done in brazil once it has been certified from london. the criminal check will need a signature, ill leave it to you to figure your easiest way to sort that out, if you apply for it, send it to your us address, then send it to brazil, sign it, send it back to the uk, then to the brazilian consulate, then back to uk address then back to brazil its likely to take 5 years and be invalid, so use a courier service if your in a hurry, there are many but not too cheap to brazil.

    so basically get your partner to sort out that form soon and dont worry about an over stay, explain in the cartorio that your visa will expire in a few weeks etc etc and they will know the form you want.

    hope this eases any worries, feel free to ask me any more info if i made any of it confusing…

    good luck and take care


    p.s forgot to say once all your documents are ready then you make an appointment to get married, the earliest you can do this is 3 weeks later.


  41. John George
    Apr 12, 2012 @ 13:11:42

    The Fast shiping service is UPS service.Last week My police certificaates and civil status certificates sent from New Delhi,India on 3rd April ,I recieved it on 10th .:) So from Englnd to Brazil I think it is only 3 days. They will send to your residence by hand.


  42. John George
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 00:40:18

    Gloria Deus!!

    Today got my protocol from federal police for permanent visa application. It is valid for 180 days. I have submitted 10 doccuments.
    1.One app. form
    2.Relationship history from esposa
    3.Police clearance
    4.Salary cert
    5.Civil status
    6.One certificate made in cartoria which mention the support fom wife upon unemployment
    7.Union Estavel -Orginal
    8.proof of Individual tax pay
    9.all passport pages authenicated (copies)
    10 3*4 size photos (mine 2 and wife 1)
    went today with this doccuments,today itself got protocol,But My wife didnt sign one section of application form.She went Job today.So when he sign it they will give me certificate for work from federal policia.probably on Monday.Thank Jesus


  43. David
    Apr 27, 2012 @ 22:41:13

    This website is so helpful. I will be applying for the stable union visa with my Brazilian partner. Luckily, we seem to have most documents, all more than one year old (joint ownership of property in Brazil, a joint bank account, a civil union from the state of Vermont in the USA). Could you give me information about the document for the “proof of individual tax pay”? I am confused as to what that is. Thank you! David


  44. rhisb
    May 06, 2012 @ 01:25:34

    I entered into the process last year and the documents have been sent to Brasilia. Just waiting basically to hear that they have been rejected because even though our uniao estavel document and joint bank account was more than one year old our life insurance was not. We now have a life insurance policy that’s more than one year old. I was wondering what the rejection letter from the MTE said? Did it tell you to send ALL the required documents again (CRB, passport, etc etc) or JUST the documents that were missing/incorrect? Im a bit worried that we’ll have to do everything again because some things such as the CRB will obviously take longer than the 30 days they give you to re submit.
    Thanks 🙂


  45. riosecreto
    May 08, 2012 @ 17:31:59

    Criminal Record Check from the UK.
    This is confusing me SO much! Does anyone know exactly how/which check I should get? I will be applying for the permanent visa through my marriage.
    I am wondering if the Scotland Disclosure is enough, I have seen another check on – Is that the one I need??? I am so confused about it! 😦


    • christavo
      May 08, 2012 @ 20:56:13

      I submitted hte Scotland Disclosure, They accepted it and didnt mentino I would need anything else…


  46. Brooke
    May 31, 2012 @ 15:04:56

    Thanks for the information on your blog! Inspiring to hear all of the success stories–especially about love! I just had one quick question, what health insurance provider in Brazil did you get?



  47. John George
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 16:25:50

    Hi David,

    Sorry For late reply.

    Individual tax proof is ,the proof of payment 102 R$ for permanent visa application. We need to ener site for policia federal ,there is option for payment for permanent visa based on family reunion ,then you enter the details,then ou will get an online generated form,bring this form to any bank ,we went to banco do brasil and pay the 102 R$,you will get a proof. This is individual tax pay proof.

    we got a certificate from Policia federal which mentions that I’am legal for work here after two days which I got protocol. Then I brought this certificate and protocol to Ministry of Trabalho and they issued me workbook same day. Thanks Jesus I need to renew it every 6 months untill get permanent visa stamp on passport.


  48. John George
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 16:39:30


    Regrading Police Clearance certificate,

    we submitted criminal record which issued in my local station near by home ,and went to Consulate of Brasil,they said we need to attest it from ministry of external affairs and norka .There main Resident commissioner ,advocate from notary ,secratary and other people will check and varify and stamp like valid outside India . it nearly took 3 days and then finaly from Brazilian consulate in 5 days in India. My friend went and do these things for me Then got certificate in 7 days here in Brazil through UPS service from India. They brought my certificate into my residencial address (United Parcel Service).


  49. Mike
    Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:38:04


    I am a US citizen and want to have a stable union with my Brazilian boyfriend. He is in Brazil waiting for me to come back so we can do the stable unon. I was told that all I needed was my passprot and a cpf number to do that. I am waiting for the cpf and then want to head down and do the stable union. From what I can gather we then would have to start the process of showing we live together and have the required documents be one year old. I have a very specific situation since I have pretty severe late stage Lyme disease and I need my boyfriend to help me get healthier and living by the ocean in Brasil helps me immensely. Being back in the US has made me pretty sick and I do not think I can continue to go back and forth while waiting to see if the stable union can get me the permanent visa. The work to be done seems a bit much for a healthy person and trying to do this while being ill is quite a struggle. I see that in Brazil the rules change by who you talk to and you can do much work to later find out it was worth nothing. So I was hoping someone on here with experience might be able to help me with the realities of some of the hoops that have to be jumped thru. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  50. Mike
    Aug 02, 2012 @ 15:12:33

    Is this site not active anymore?? I def need some guidance


  51. Kasper
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 12:34:00

    How do I contact you Chris? I have some questions and they are important!!


  52. writchz
    Aug 28, 2012 @ 00:43:56

    hello just whant 2 ask what will happen if i’l stay illegaly for 2 yrs.. Is there had a chance to go back to my country again because im planning to go bck home..what will i do?? Shoud i put in jail and then deported?? Please send me a respnse to my e mail thank u very much..


  53. writchz
    Aug 28, 2012 @ 21:45:20

    chris please can u help me..?? I need to know if i’ve been deported should i go to jail first? And then i dont have money to buy plane ticket..


  54. dan
    Aug 28, 2012 @ 23:11:23

    writchz, you wont be put in jail, youll be fined 8 brazilian reais a day, capped at 100 days and you dont have to pay it when you leave, youll be told you can not re enter the country for 180 days and when you re enter youll have to pay the fine, or when you leave if you prefer.

    you can stay 90 days and either re new your visa at immigration for another 90 days or do a border run to another country and come back again, you can do either of these options only once. but if you stay 2 years or 10 years youll have an 800 reais fine to pay, thats it.

    if you read an earlier thread of mine youll see that if you plan to stay in the same area then consider getting a student visa for the biggest university in the area and study anything you like a few hours a week. this visa can be renewed for as long as you study, you can also open a bank account and work. but you must arrive to brazil with the student visa already in your passport, it can be granted to you once your inside brazil but then youll have to go home to collect the visa and come back again, thats the rules.

    allow plenty of time for this as nothing works properly in brazil and everything takes much more time than nearly any other country in the world. also bring twice the money you think youll need, its more expensive than london.

    hope this helps




  55. writchz
    Aug 31, 2012 @ 00:26:35

    thanks chris.. I came here in brasil wthout any visa.. And after 3 mos i make an extnsn at pf and then 1 wk bfore my 180days i went to paraguay nd go bck again to brasil. I decde to stay thats why im still here undocmntd person. My problem is my passport valid until may next year. Thats why im thnking if to go bck home. But my problem is i dnt knw what happen if i go to pf?? If they were going to deport me. Am i going to put in jail first??? And then i dnt have money to buy plane ticket. What is the punishment?? Pls can u help me to know bcoz my famly is worrying about my stuation…


  56. dan
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 19:06:06


    did you get an exit stamp from paraguay ???

    do you have a visa for paraguay ???

    is it still valid ???

    how long have you been in brazil with no visa ???

    i can maybe advise on this



  57. writchz
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 22:09:27

    chris thanks for the reply.. I’ve been here for almost 1yr and 9 mos. Can help me wer to fnd any job?? Anywhre any country. Coz i came to brazil n sacrifcng myself just to help my family i belong to a poor famly n the philppnes. I dont hve nothing.. I am a mchinst but dnt hve any workng visa at all.. Hope u undrstnd my stuat’n.. Can gve me an advce what to do?.thank you very much. Bfore i forget i dnt have any stamp in paraguay.


  58. dan
    Sep 04, 2012 @ 18:16:48

    i cant help with work as i dont have any myself yet and live in florianopolis also for over a year and here is definitely not a good place to look for any, sao paulo or rio for sure will be the best option.

    there will be about a $ BR 800 – 900 real fine when you leave. even if you stay 5 years, the fine is the same, you could pay it when you leave or when you come back again after 6 months if thats what you want to do. you wont go to prison, its not really much of a crime over staying a visa here, they assume your living on your own savings and thus spending into there economy. plus i know people that have left by plane while over staying a visa and nothing at all happened. so dont worry about it.

    maybe try some hotels, bars, schools and kitchens for work.

    sorry i couldnt be more help, there are ways to juggle visas and going back and forth to paraguay but it involves a lot of travel which obviously adds up quickly.

    best of luck



  59. Dri
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 02:14:58

    Hi all,

    This is such a great blog, I’m so happy I’ve found it! Thanks to all of you that shared your experiences and impressions about how things go here in my country. I must agree is quite confusing, but eventually you get used to it. I’m a brazilian woman in a relationship with a same sex partner for 18 months and we are planning to live together here in Brazil, so she will move in here next year. She has been to Brazil 2x last year (total of 180 days – 90 days each trip) and I’ve been recently to her country for a 30 days vacation last month.
    We are going to apply for a permanent visa based on stable union. Our idea is to obtain a judge’s certificate to avoid the 1 year proof of living, which we don’t have by now (yesterday I made a life insurance and now will look for a health insurance company that may accepts her without the RNE number), this may not be needed but better to have it in order to provide more evidence of connection between us. She already has a CPF since november/11, and that was pretty easy to get, one afternoon at Poupatempo Sé.
    She will apply for a tourist visa to enter Brazil, and right after she enters, we will apply for permanent visa, but before that we need to gather all documents.
    One of the documents is the criminal record, that needs to be legalized by the consulate/embassy. We are wondering if asking for this legalization at the embassy will in any matter cause problems for her to get the tourist visa? Do they ask any reason for you to get this legalized? To be more clear: do they demand you to explain why do you need this legalized, once you are entering the country as a tourist and this document is not necessary for that? Or they just do the legalization with no questions? I know this may sound a bit stupid, but my partner is really worried as she needs the tourist visa to enter Brazil and we don’t want to have problems with that.
    You advice would be highly appreciated!
    Once again thank you so much for the helpful information and best regards!


    • christavo
      Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:27:09

      Hi Dri,

      Sounds like you pretty much have everything sorted which is great news! Getting the stable union approved by a judge is certainly the best way to avoid the 1 year wait period. I was able to get a Health Insurance plan based on my Passport, I cant remember the name of the company but it is on the section ”Visa.” I sent my Criminal Record Check (The UK version of this was a basic disclosure from Disclosures Scotland) to the Brazilian embassy in the UK to have it stamped by them to say it is an official document. No questions were asked, there would be no need to. This service was pretty quick. You send it to them and its back within the week, unless I was lucky!

      Good luck to you both. Do stay in touch and let me know how you get on – Where are you living? I lived in Campo Grande 😀 We’re going back there next month! Cant wait


  60. Dri
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 15:59:30

    Hi Chris! Yeah I’ve been doing some research on the subject for a while since last year, so I was very confused in the beginning but now is more clear to me how things work! I told my partner that they probably wouldn’t ask any questions about it, but she was very worried and nervous, so I’m glad to know that I was thinking right! Thank you so much for the info!
    I live in São Paulo-capital, for 6 years already, but I’m from Santa Catarina state!
    I heard that Campo Grande has extremely hot weather, though I’ve never been there! So are you coming back to Brazil? Great! Will you stay in Campo Grande or other city? And maybe visit some other cities as well? And for how long will you stay here?
    Is really good to meet people with same interests and to share our experiences and information!


  61. David
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 01:29:46

    This blog and comments have been helpful to me. I applied directly to the MTE in early May with all my documents. I was missing one document–some sort of application tax– but sent it in (You find out if you are missing any documents by checking your status on the MTE website; I was also sent a letter informing me of what I was missing). I also had to change the Brazilian consulate from which I originally elected to pick up my visa (when or if approved). I sent a letter and an email requesting the change, and the MTE changed it, no problem. Now my documents are still under analysis. I decided to leave Brazil temporarily, to Tokyo where I am working and waiting. I am not sure if the Federal Police strike is delaying my approval. I also suppose Brasilia has stacks of visa applications….. Overall, it has been a pretty straightforward process. An expensive and time-consuming process, certainly. But it is so good to know that Brazil does offer a chance for same-sex couples to legally be together. My country, the USA, does not.


  62. Carol
    Sep 21, 2012 @ 14:36:28

    Hi Chris! Thanks for the information, really really helpful!! Im with a Brazilian too and we want to apply for the stable union. Im here on a tourist visa which expires very soon, but I think I can get most of the documents on time to at least get the protocolo started. The only thing that worries me is the criminal record, which i have to apply for in my home country (Holland). Do you think it is possible to start the protocolo with one missing document, i.e. delivering all other necessary documents,, receiving a protocolo and adding the criminal record as soon as it gets here? Is there anyone who has exprience with this? Propmt reply appreciated as my visa expires really soon! 🙂 Thank you!!!


    • christavo
      Sep 22, 2012 @ 16:36:07

      Hi CArol,

      I really think this would be completely dependant on the person you give the documents too on the day. Some are very strict and won’t take anything untl all the nessessites are together and some may be willing to help out. The official answer is that they shouldn’t take them without the minimum require documents, but again depends on the person, good luck x


  63. Mirna Kragulj
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 15:56:17

    Hello All, I am new to this blog and hoping someone is checking it at this point as there are no messages from what I can see this month. I too am in a situation where my boyfriend and I are considering applying for a permanency visa with the civil union certificate, and I cannot seem to find much information about the process if you do go through a judge to certify the union rather than the cartorio. We too do not have documents that are a year old, although we have been in the relationship for almost 2 years now. Does anyone know what kind of information the judge will ask for as proof of your relationship, and is it fact that we will not need to provide documents that are a year old if we do go through the judge?
    Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!


  64. Mike
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 13:57:40

    I am hoping this site is still active. I need some guidance with the permanent visa


    • christavo
      Jan 05, 2013 @ 13:59:04

      It is, what do you need to know? Take a look at the visa process and see if you have any questions


  65. Mike
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 13:10:22

    Hi Christavo,

    I am in Espirito Santo and have had a stable union here with a Brasilian for one month, I am from the USA. We want to get married and see if that can make the permanent visa application easier or automatic??? I think that same sex marriage is legal now in this state?????? My concern is I do not want to return to the USA to get the FBI stuff since I have had to travel enough already. Can I get married and get the perm visa fairly easy????? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!


  66. Mike
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 09:28:34


    Are you still around. I am on the verge of getting married here in Brazil and have some questions that I am sure you can answer. Thanks.


  67. Mike
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 17:42:38

    I read an article that said Sao Paulo state legalized same sex marriage and that it will be effective in March 2013. I wonder if this is true. The article said it was a good thing for foreigners because they could avoid proving stuff to a judge. Anyone??


    • christavo
      Feb 06, 2013 @ 21:26:47

      Hey not heard of this myself but could be true. My impression is that you would always need to travel outside of Brasil to collect your visa if you entered in a tourist visa origionally….not sure this can be avoided! Email me….


  68. BonnieScot
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 19:30:44

    Hello everyone,

    This is a great source of information on Brazilian visas thanks a lot!

    I have two questions on visas based on a stable union (I am a British passport holder and my girlfriend is a Brazilian passport holder):

    1) Is it possible to obtain:
    A) a stable union certificate issued by a government agency in the UK
    B) proof of stable union issued by a competent court or authority (or UK equivalent) in the UK

    I have been advised that it would be quicker, cheaper and more convincing to obtain proof of stable union in the UK before travelling to Brazil.

    2) Is it possible to obtain a work permit/workers book (are they the same?) as soon as you submit an application for a visa based on a stable union to the Brazilian Federal Police and have received a protocol number? Are there any restrictions for this work permit?

    There is a lot of information here to suggest that this is the case but I want to be sure there is no misunderstanding. I just spoke to a lawyer who said that one only receives an immediate work permit for a visa based on marriage and not for a visa based on a stable union.

    If someone has successfully worked only having submitted the application for a visa based on a stable union and received a protocol number that would be great news!

    Your help will be most gratefully received!


  69. Jonathan Riding
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:03:19


    As others have said – great website and information. I have a question.

    The Brazilian Consulate UK website says the applicaiton for CNIg Stable Union permission can only be applied for in Brazil in person. However, they tell me that once the CNIg permission is granted, I have to leave Brazil and come back to the UK to get the visa.

    Another post said that if you apply to the FP in Brazil, you dont have to leave; however if you apply directly to the MTE, you do have to leave Brazil and go to an Embassy to get the visa.

    Leaving Brazil to pick up a visa is obviously a pain in the ass; does anyone know / have experience of whether you can do the entire Stable Union visa process in Brazil, or is it always necessary to start it in Brazil and then complete the process outside Brazil at an Embassy.



    • christavo
      Feb 06, 2013 @ 21:21:15


      Sadly when I researched this while in brazil I could only see that you had to get the visa OUTSIDE of brasil. It’s similar here in the UK, if yur on a tourist visa you have to leave to wait for the visa and collect 😦


  70. David
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 12:59:48

    My experience was that I had to apply for the permanent visa based on a stable union through the MTE. At first, I went to the Federal Police in Sao Paulo to apply, but they said they don’t process the stable union visa. So I went through the MTE and elected to pick my visa up in Tokyo. It was approved after 4 months of waiting (submitted all documents in May 2012, got approved in September 2012) . During that time of waiting (when I really didn’t know for sure if I would be approved), I returned to Tokyo for work. I found out I was approved in September. You have 6 months to collect your visa. I just got it stamped in my passport today. I will return to Brazil in either July or September (I am American, so I don’t need to enter Brazil within 90 days). If I can be of any help, let me know.


  71. Mike
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 17:09:41


    My details are I am American and have a stable union with a Brazilian since Nov 2012. Only 2 months of having the electric bill in my name. I have passport/visa and autheticated birth certificate. Thats it for now. I very much need a permanent visa to stay with my boyfriend. My 180 days for 2013 will be up by July 2013. Any chance I can get what I need while still being here and NOT having to go back to the USA?? Any help or guidance would be awesome! Thanks.


  72. Dri
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 22:31:22

    Quoting Mike’s query:
    “I read an article that said Sao Paulo state legalized same sex marriage and that it will be effective in March 2013. I wonder if this is true. The article said it was a good thing for foreigners because they could avoid proving stuff to a judge. Anyone??”
    Yes it is true! And is not from march, it will be effective from next monday Feb 18th! I completely changed my plans about trying a permanent visa based on stable relationship due to this great news! We are getting a stable union certificate just to have this document that says we are in a relationship for over two years, will go to a notary and convert into marriage.
    If getting married is not a problem for you, you should go for it! I went to PF last wednesday to get an updated list of documents to request visa based on marriage and the nice lady told me the MJ’s website is not updated, so be aware of that. If you want, I can send you a copy of the list via e-mail.
    Best regards and good luck!


  73. Mike
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 08:22:22


    Glad to hear this news is going to make your life easier. I am in Espirito Santo so it looks like I cannot get the marriage without a judge.


  74. Mike
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 08:24:06


    That would be great if you could send it via email.


  75. Dri
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 20:26:42

    Hi Mike,

    I will send to your e-mail today. I read this morning that this new rule for SP notary’s will be delayed in 2 weeks, being effective from march 1st, due to some improvements they want to make. Anyway is only 2 weeks more, and we will be waiting from documents from her country, plus sworn translation and register the documents in another type of notary (me brazilian, I didn’t even know that there is a 3rd type of notary in BR). You could eventually consult the ANOREG or ARPEN in Espírito Santo, they might kindly indicate some notaries that already deal with same-sex marriages. I think a quick call to check out wouldn’t harm 😉


  76. Mike
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 10:06:40

    Thanks so much Dri!


  77. Mike
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 11:46:33

    Kind of curious that with same sex civil union legal in Sao Paulo and Bahia, even though I am in Espirito Santo would I still be able to travel to those states and do the marriage, if my address is in ES. I wonder if it could help with marriage visa/permanent visa, or is it the same deal for me until same sex civil union is legal in Esiprito Santo??


  78. Dri
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 13:36:04

    Hey Mike, I just sent you an e-mail with the list of docs attached. Well, this is a tricky one. As civil marriage is not already written down (Constitution was not yet updated) and the stable union for same-sex couples was recognized by supreme court in may 2011, many states are extending the conversion into marriage and direct marriages based on this court decision, but not all. This is a discritionary act of each state, even if they are not obligated to do so, they understand that we have the same rights as the hetero couples. About getting married in other states, as far as I know, you can get married in any notary in the country, but the ‘HABILITAÇÃO’ must be done in the registry that is responsible for the neighborhood of your brazilian partner residence. ‘HABILITAÇÃO’ and the proper ‘CERIMÔNIA DE CASAMENTO’ are 2 different steps. Conversion of SU into marriage doesn’t require the 2nd step but you need to present the same documents for a regular marriage…


  79. Mike
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 13:48:51

    I saw on the news last night people getting married in Sao Paulo state! Very good news! Doesnt help me yet but nice to see!


  80. Mike
    Mar 17, 2013 @ 20:49:44

    The site seems quiet. Needing some guidance. Christavo you still around?


  81. Mike
    Mar 18, 2013 @ 16:32:44

    If I get married in Sao Paulo even if that is not the state my address is in, does it still get me anywhere, will it be valid?


    • Johan
      Sep 25, 2013 @ 21:19:08

      Are you guys still active around here? I do need to know how to get the stable union certificate in front of a judge!
      Thanks in advance.


  82. Dri
    Jul 15, 2013 @ 15:30:19

    You now can get married anywhere, as you probably have heard on the news, right? If you didn’t do so, hurry up! 🙂


  83. John
    Jun 27, 2014 @ 17:11:11

    Hi Chris,
    Thankyou for your information it’s most helpful and very clear, I find other sites to be messy and they fill me with doubts.
    I’m currently on a tourist visa which has been extended but me and my girlfriend are currently trying to get a uniao estavel so we can apply for my visa here.
    Is my understanding right from what you said that I’ll be able to stay here legally after my tourist visa runs for the duration they are processing all the documents/ application etc.?
    Also is there a minimum time two people have to be together to apply for the visa?

    Thanks 🙂


  84. Richard
    Aug 16, 2014 @ 21:34:22

    Hi Chris
    Your blog is great! thank you very much for sharing your experiences, especially at sucha stressful time, I admire you. I am in Brazil now, going throught the same process and it is easy to get frustrated, as you say, the story cahnges all the time.
    I have a few questions, if any one can help that would be great!
    We entered into a uniao estavel last week at the cartorio here in Vitoria ES. We then tried to open a joint bank account but as you said this seems impossible. We will also take out a life insurance policy this coming week. We will then need one other document to register with the Policia Federal, which I will try to sort out when I visit London in September. (Although we lived together in London for 3 years, we didn’t have any ‘joint’ accounts or bills or contracts).
    The Policia Federal here seem to think that if I go to the consulate in London with
    1. certificate of uniao estavel
    2. my passport
    3. police check
    4. my partners passport
    5. my partners ID card
    I will be able to apply for my visa there. Does anyone know if this is true?
    I have read up on the consulate website and this seems to be the case for marriage to a Brazillian national and I am wondering if it also applies to a uniao estavel?
    I hope so! this would be great. Any advice offered would be really appreciated.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: